Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Santa Lucia

The church I grew up at has a Swedish background and one thing my church would do is a Santa Lucia celebration. This year Santa Lucia Day came on a Saturday (Dec. 13) so I thought it would be fun to do a little breakfast at home. Tradition is for the oldest girl to dress in a white dress with a red sash and a crown with seven candles. She wakes early in the dark morning and serves a breakfast with buns, coffee and ginger cookies. Mollie dressed up and she served the breakfast to us and her grandparents.Allie wanted to get dressed up and into the act too. How could we say "no" to such excitement? Some of you might recognize the crown. The closest thing we had to what I was reading about was the crown Mollie made at her fairy birthday. I found some small candles and used twisty ties. I wouldn't light them - not at all traditional, but that was as close as I dared with her hair!