Thursday, August 28, 2008

First Day of School!

Tuesday was Mollie's first day of school at Canoas. She was so excited while getting ready. Both girls were giddy and squeaking while brushing their teeth. And at 7:30am the four of us headed out the door and walked down the street to school. I love how close it is to home. After a short meeting with the teacher we said our good byes and off she went into class. This was the first time I remember her ever being timid before going into a class of any kind. Except the first time I left her in the church nursery when she was 3 months. And she cried just that first time. Since then leaving her for class or anything has gone smoothly.

Picking up my little one was not what I expected. Mollie loves to learn everything and loves school and classes of all kinds. She came walking out of class so tired and looking sad and she didn't want to talk and she said she didn't like Kindergarten. Oh no! Scott and I told her we'll give it a couple weeks thinking she will get over the shock of the day and it will get better.

Instead...
On Wednesday Mollie had her first day of Kindergarten at Hacienda Elem. Yup, we switched schools. Tuesday afternoon I got a call from the district office saying that a space opened up at the magnet school for which we were on a waiting list for. I was shocked; totally didn't expect this to come up. When they sent me a letter in the spring Mollie was number 60 something. Turns out that was just a student number. She was 9 of the waiting list! After a rushed trip over to Hacienda to meet people and check it out and a couple phone calls to Scott we decided to switch schools. Mollie was pleased that she got two first days of school. I had to convince her that didn't mean she got to have a second first day of school cake. :)

Her reaction to school was so different on Wednesday; complete opposite from what I got on Tuesday. She came out happy and energized. Excited about school again. And I am excited about it too. Parent involvement plays a big role there. At lunch time kids on the playground of a great play structure, balls and hoops. It feels so much like the school that I grew up at and I am excited to be a part of it. I'm still learning what it means to be a magnet school though. I know that kids throughout the district can apply to go there, so kids are from all over. There is PE and art and music still. The bent of the school is environmental science. Last year Mollie got to be a part of a home school science class and fell in love with science. The school does a lot of hands on with learning which I love and agree with. There are large planting boxes for each class and an area with ponds and a creek and lots of Redwood trees. Pretty campus. And I am hoping that the science aspect will be an advantage for her as our current culture is about "going green." I know, I know. That is a big hot topic and there are lots of arguments. And maybe I'll get into that another time.

Anyway, we have started school. Everyday. Another new phase of life for our little Mollie.